For the past few months, it’s been common practice to be extra diligent when you clean and disinfect every surface throughout the day; especially if you’re going out in public. We’ve heard all of the tips and tricks from how often to wash and sanitize your hands, to keeping electronics clean, to the multiple surfaces of your home. One thing that seems to be glossed over is how your HVAC system is handling the virus with the ventilation and filtration system installed.
How can your HVAC system keep your home safe?
The HVAC system regulates the air quality in the entire house. Depending on the time of year, it can heat the house or cool it down by activating the air conditioning. It also has a built-in air filter that catches airborne contaminants such as dust, pollen, pet dander, and more. This filter is also strong enough to catch bacteria and viruses that cause not only the common cold but COVID-19 as well! Having a clean air filter in your HVAC system could be a huge factor in keeping your family safe during this uncertain time.
What can you do to keep your HVAC system up to date?
- Get your system checked out as soon as possible. It’s getting colder so you’ll want to make sure it’s ready for the winter, anyway.
- Update the filter to the highest-rated version your current system can handle. You might need to consult the manual or even give us a call at A1 Comfort Heating & Cooling Inc. to discuss it. We’ll be able to hunt down the information for you.
- Usually, HVAC systems filter the air when the fan runs. If you can, have the fan run continuously or longer than you usually would. The fan doesn’t affect the heating or cooling, so you don’t have to worry about the house becoming uncomfortable.
- If you can, include an air purifier as well to give yourself even more of an opportunity to reduce airborne contaminants in the air.
- Continue to clean and sanitize your home according to the CDC guidelines to stay protected.
*Please note: Using your HVAC filter is an additional aid to help keep your family safe. You still need to take the proper precautions of cleaning and sanitizing your home.
When was the last time you had your filter changed or HVAC system checked? Don’t wait! Contact us today!